A fire ripped through a Lemon Grove home late Tuesday, causing $100,000 in damage and claiming the life of a family dog, a fire official said.
The fire was reported shortly after 11 p.m. at the home on Golden View Terrace near Golden Avenue.
When firefighters arrived they initially thought the entire house was engulfed in flames but discovered the fire was mainly in the garage of the home and extended into the kitchen, said Heartland Fire & Rescue spokesman Sonny Saghera.
Crews knocked the flames down in about 30 minutes and investigators are trying to determine what caused it, he said. The garage was extensively damaged and there was smoke damage throughout the entire house.
Two adults and three children in the home were able to get out safely and were being assisted by the Red Cross with temporary lodging, he said.
A woman who lived in the home told San Diego News Video that her four children and five dogs were in the house when the fire broke out. She said her daughter smelled smoke and saw flames, and that she yelled for everyone to get out.
Video shows firefighters giving oxygen to two small dogs that were rescued from the home.
The woman said two other dogs were let out of the home, but she worried an old dog hadn’t made it out. “We are still missing my old injured one which, honestly, she was really old, she may have passed way form the smoke alone,” she said, as she petted the pets that were saved.
Saghera confirmed one dead dog was found inside the home.
The resident also said a clothes dryer in the garage may have sparked the fire.
- Big Mexico quake cuts power and damages homes, two dead in crash
- Killing dogs for meat illegal, rules South Korean court
- 6 jailed, 4 on probation in Vietnam for killing dog theft suspects
- Vietnamese arrested in Taiwan for posting photos of killing dogs on Facebook
- Strong Ecuador quake kills 28, causes 'considerable damage'
- Flooding causes severe damage along Ma River in Vietnam
- Floods cause severe damage, 27 deaths
- Environmental incident at Khanh Hoa Sugar causes great damage
- Salt intrusion causes widespread damage in Mekong Delta
- Storm causes huge damage for northern provinces