When Adam Moss stepped down as editor of New York magazine last month, it marked the end of an era. Since taking the helm of the august title in 2004, Moss had helped set the industry standard for magazine journalism, documenting the life of the city in all its highbrow, lowbrow, brilliant, and despicable glory. Of course, as dedicated media-watchers know, much of the New York‘s DNA was apparent three decades ago, when Moss emerged from Manhattan’s media landscape as the 30-year-old wunderkind behind the much-loved, short-lived 7 Days magazine. Published by then-Voice owner Leonard Stern for two years bridging the ’80s and ’90s, 7 Days was a glorious failure, bleeding money, but minting the reputations for a generation of fledgling journalists. Flipping through the 7 Days archives today is an exercise in delightful discovery. There’s Jeffrey Toobin writing about the Yankees, long before he became the lead legal analyst for the New Yorker; future best-selling author Meg Wolitzer (The Wife) writing the weekly crossword puzzle; a regular magazine-watching column from fellow future best-selling author Walter Kirn (Up in the Air); Peter Schjeldahl covering the arts scene; Joan Acocella on dance. Over the next week, we here at the Voice archives will be sharing some of these treasures from the vault. Welcome to seven days of 7 Days December… Read full this story
- Bhiwandi doubling rate increases to 130 days; city sees big improvement
- City Party Chief: Each family considered as fortress to combat pandemic
- The stuff of night mayors: Amsterdam pioneers new way to run cities after dark
- Salt Lake City mayor orders stricter use of force rules
- James Maddison: Leicester City in broad agreement over four-year deal
- Day One of Unlock 3.0 sees many vehicles passing through U.T.
- Only 1.7% of 35K domestic workers test COVID-positive in city
- 22% cases in Rewari’s tally detected in last six days
- Coronavirus | It has taken 137 days for the case count in Chennai to cross 1 lakh-mark
- Cuomo: New York breaks one-day COVID-19 testing record
7 Days: The City Below have 321 words, post on www.villagevoice.com at April 19, 2019. This is cached page on IT Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.