Ex- BoE governor Mervyn King has called for an extension period to prepare for a no deal Brexit (Image: Getty) Mervyn King has now called for a six-month extension period to prepare for leaving without a deal. He also dismissed claims of economic doom as “scare stories” and suggested Westminster politicians had suffered a “collective nervous breakdown”. The crossbench peer blamed Chancellor Philip Hammond’s “disastrous” decision not to fund no-deal preparations and leaving Britain in a weaker position in negotiations. And the economist warned the European Union is facing major economic challenges of its own. Lord King of Lothbury said it was “extraordinary” that MPs were unable to make a decision about Brexit. He said: “The incompetence seems to have spread beyond the Government to Parliament as a whole.” Related articles Inside Politics: Feuds will dog leadership race Brexit delay sparks PANIC in Brussels: Concern over anti-EU TAKEOVER The peer said that once Britain voted to quit in 2016 “all necessary preparations” for leaving without a deal should have been put in place. “Those preparations were not made,” he told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme. “The Government took a conscious decision and the Chancellor was very explicit about it, that… Read full this story
- Brexit deal goes to the wire: UK and EU 'are haggling over every fish' despite claims trade agreement is all-but DONE with Boris Johnson set to make historic announcement
- Scarlett Moffatt wouldn’t survive without mum — she keeps her grounded, says ex Lee
- Armie Hammer's ex PICTURED: Paige Lorenze seen after saying she is looking for 'good therapist'... amid actor's denial over 'leaked' 'cannibalism and rape messages'
- SARAH VINE: What TV’s Tom has got to tell Harry and Meghan
- Jordyn Woods has been 'sleeping with Tristan Thompson for a month or two' says makeup artist Jeffree Star... after attacking Khloe Kardashian
- It's le Snub! Tory Brexiteers slam EU's 'contemptuous treatment' of Britain after Macron and Merkel REFUSE Boris Johnson's request for a trade talks phone call as PM warns No Deal now 'very, very likely'
- Boris's dig at Macron as Brexit negotiations go the 11th hour: PM says French leader 'shares my keen interest in protecting the eco-systems of our sea' amid row over fishing as negotiator leaves EU HQ and No Deal edges closer
- Model, 25, flees her home and says she will change her appearance after jilted ex-boyfriend vandalised her car, hacked her bank account and sent threatening messages telling her: 'I have your life in my hands'
- French fishmongers say their supply chain has been shattered by over-zealous local bureaucrats enforcing post-Brexit red tape
- Eccentric indie rocker Ariel Pink tells Tucker Carlson he'll be 'destitute and on the street' after label drops him for attending Trump rally... which turned into riot on Capitol
No deal scare stories are absurd, let's just tell EU we're leaving, says ex-bank governor have 451 words, post on www.express.co.uk at March 30, 2019. This is cached page on IT Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.