Bryan MacDonald is an Irish journalist based in Russia. ‘Russiagate’ is over. But its toxic legacy will endure. And in Russia it has led to disenchantment with the United States. Red Army Street is a 3km-long thoroughfare in Krasnodar, southern Russian, notable for its many bars and nightclubs, which number in the dozens. Indeed, it’s so raucous it makes snooty Moscow look rather pedestrian. Last summer, I was in one hostelry, with a South African farmer who was visiting the region. Naturally, we spoke in English. This seemed to upset three drunken locals who (in Russian) were loudly exchanging anti-American slurs. Eventually, the largest, and scariest, of the trio broke into English to shout “Yankee, go home.” To which I swiftly replied that I was Irish. Suddenly, he ran over, bear-hugged me, and shouted at the top of his voice: “Conor McGregor!” It wasn’t always like this. When I moved to Russia, nine years ago, Americans were very popular here. And Russians knew little of my homeland, most wrongly seeing it as an extension of the United Kingdom. If I’d had a dollar, in the early part of the decade, for every Russian who’d expressed a desire to visit the… Read full this story
- TV Goes Wild Over Robert Mueller Report Recap: “Day Of Media Reckoning” Vs “AG Pulled An Al Haig”
- Trump Completes Russiagate Cover-up by Pardoning Paul Manafort
- Who's hiding 'Russiagate' informant Stephen Halper, and why?
- Who's hiding 'Russiagate' informant Stefan Halper, and why?
- 'Russian collusion was a fantasy': George Papadopoulos blasts Mueller probe for 'setting traps' for Trump campaign and says 'we still need answers' on how the investigation started after being pardoned by the president
- Trump Campaign Officials Say Mueller Indictments Are No 'Smoking Gun,' Echoing Nixon Era
- While Mueller Stays Quiet, Suspicious Trump–Russia Clues Keep Popping Up
- William Barr’s Double Standard: Mueller’s a Crook and Trump Is Innocent
- From East Germany to Hollywood: Armin Mueller-Stahl at 90
- CNN-Bellingcat investigation identifies Russian specialists who trailed Putin's nemesis Alexey Navalny before he was poisoned
Mueller report: ‘Russiagate’ hoax helped turn ordinary Russians against the US have 339 words, post on www.rt.com at March 28, 2019. This is cached page on IT Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.