FACEBOOK put hundreds of millions of users at risk by storing their passwords without proper security, an expert has warned. The company has since admitted that the cybersecurity blunder – which could help hackers access all of your online accounts – went on for years. Facebook was caught up in a series of security fiascos last year, after it emerged that the company had given away private user data to outsiders. And now, a top cybersecurity expert has warned that Facebook was storing hundreds of millions of passwords in plain text. According to security investigator Brian Krebs, Facebook failed to encrypt passwords, and allowed them to be searchable by thousands of Facebook employees. Shortly after Krebs revealed the gaffe, Facebook issued a lengthy statement on its Newsroom confirming it. “Hundreds of millions of Facebook users had their account passwords stored in plain text and searchable by thousands of Facebook employees — in some cases going back to 2012,” Krebs revealed. He cites a Facebook source who said that between 200million and 600million Facebook users may have been stored in plain text. “My Facebook insider said access logs showed some 2,000 engineers or developers made approximately nine million internal queries for… Read full this story
- Security experts raise 2020 Census hacking concerns
- The Cybersecurity 202: These hackers warned Congress the internet was not secure; 20 years later, their message is the same.
- State election systems await security checkups
- What's your digital data worth? Cyber-security experts say less than Rs 3,580
- The Cybersecurity 202: DNC security chief preaches basic security for 2020 campaigns
- In Safetech IoT Settlement, New York Attorney General Outlines Reasonable Security Program
- Bridging the Week: August 10 – 14 and 17, 2015 (Hacking, Layering, Dark Pools; Manipulation, Position Limits and Fiduciary Duties)
- The Cloud: Selected Benefits, Risks, and Insurance Coverage Issues (Part 1)
- Russian hacking fears – The signs YOUR computer has been targeted and how to prevent getting hacked
- 'Bulk hacking' by UK spy agencies is illegal, high court told
Facebook ‘security failure’ put 600million passwords ‘at risk of being hacked’ have 309 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at March 21, 2019. This is cached page on IT Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.