The Microsoft Store on Windows 10 doesn’t have the most amazing selection of casual touch-based games, but there are some decent titles in there that are fun for passing the time on your Surface Pro or Surface Go. Here are some of the best.
Game Dev Tycoon is an addictive management game that allows you to experience a tiny, tongue-in-cheek slice of the life of a game developer. Start out developing in your bedroom in the ’80s, growing and expanding your business empire, research, and staff on your journey from humble developer to greedy mega-publisher.
Fallout Shelter is a wildly popular apocalypse simulation game, where you get to manage your very own nuclear bunker. Grow your vault deep into the earth, along with your population, managing supplies and fending off raider attacks along the way. Fallout Shelter is totally free, and totally addictive.
Halo: Spartan Strike is an underrated twin-stick shooter, playable with keyboard and mouse, controller, or touch. Experience Halo-style “training simulations” complete with all the authentic weapons, enemies, and characters from Microsoft’s flagship shooter franchise.
Minecraft is among the best touch-enabled games on the Microsoft Store, comprising all of the features you can find on Xbox One or a full desktop PC. Adventure into zombie-filled chasms or construct the castle of your dreams; it’s all possible from the comfort of your sofa with Minecraft on Windows tablets.
The classic match-three puzzle game Candy Crush Saga remains a great time-waster for anyone looking for a casual touch-based game for their Windows tablet. Tap on the colored gems to match three or more of the same type, rack up big combos, and progress through dozens of levels in this endlessly addictive puzzler.
Bridge Constructor is an addictive physics-based puzzle game that tasks with creating increasingly complex bridges across a wide variety of terrain. After building your creations, send test vehicles across to test their durability, often with explosive consequences.
If I had to pick just a couple, Game Dev Tycoon is an addictive, funny title that works really well with touch. Additionally, Fallout Shelter is aggressively addictive, and comes with Xbox Play Anywhere and Xbox Live support, meaning you can take your progress to any PC or Xbox One device via the same Microsoft account. Growing out your own personal nuclear bunker is a lot of fun, particularly when you start getting into expeditions, gearing up your vault dwellers and so on. Be sure to give it a try.
- Microsoft's latest Windows 10 19H1 build hints at what 2019 has in store for Windows
- Friday's Best Deals: Sonos Speakers, Weighted Blankets, True Wireless Earbuds, and More
- Friday's Best Deals: New iPhones, Cheaper MacBooks, Dyson Vacuum, and More
- Monday's Best Deals:
- Friday's Best Deals: Humidifiers, K-Beauty, Travel Mugs and More
- Thursday's Best Deals: Patagonia, Electric Mug, Clear the Rack, and More
- Early Black Friday sale at Best Buy ends tonight: $150 to $250 off MacBook Pros, $600 Surface Pro 6 bundle and more
- Friday's Best Deals: Nintendo Labo, Harry Potter Coding Kit, Italian Vacation, and More
- Windows, Mac, or Linux? We compare the pros and cons of these computing platforms
- Back to school: Best laptops for students