Making the announcement just five hours before polls were set to open on Saturday, it cited unspecified “challenges” amid reports that voting materials had not been delivered to all parts of the country. The move was expected to cause outrage as many residents of Africa’s most populous nation and largest democracy had relocated for the chance to vote. “This was a difficult decision to take but necessary for successful delivery of the elections and the consolidation of our democracy,” commission chairman Mahmood Yakubu told reporters in the capital, Abuja. He said more details would be released during an afternoon briefing. A review of logistics, along with the determination to hold a credible vote, led the commission to conclude that going ahead with the election as planned was “no longer feasible”, he said. Nigeria postponed the previous presidential election in 2015 because of insecurity in the north-east, which remains under threat from Islamic extremists. As word filtered out after midnight of a possible election delay at least in some regions, the Situation Room, a civil society collective monitoring the vote, said in a statement that “any suggestion that the election be held in a staggered manner will be totally unacceptable, and… Read full this story
- Poland’s presidential election to be held within 74 days
- Poland to reconsider mail-only presidential election, sources say
- Jared Kushner Says He Is Not Involved in Any Plan to Postpone Presidential Election Over Coronavirus
- Polish presidential election in chaos with only 4 days to go
- Poland's presidential election to be held within 74 days
- Afghanistan presidential election to be settled at height of fighting season
- Buhari votes in Daura as polls open in Nigerian election
- U.S. Supreme Court to hear presidential Electoral College dispute
- GOP chairman dismisses moving Election Day: 'No justification for changing the elections'
- Madagascar presidential candidate's team cries foul after rival declared winner
Nigeria delays presidential election for a week due to unspecified 'challenges' have 299 words, post on www.independent.ie at February 16, 2019. This is cached page on IT Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.