WASHINGTON (AP) — Can the presidential retreat that produced the landmark Camp David Mideast peace accord do anything to help bridge the divides in polarized Washington? White House Acting Chief of Staff Mick Mulvaney isn’t setting any lofty goals, but he’s invited a bipartisan mix of legislators to the rustic Maryland campus for an informal get-together this weekend as he tries to build relationships across the aisle.While President Donald Trump hasn’t shown much interest in spending time at Camp David, it’s at least the third time Mulvaney has used the remote complex in Maryland’s Catoctin Mountain Park as neutral ground for Washington political figures. He huddled there with Republicans last month after Trump agreed to the short-term budget deal that re-opened the government, and he held a White House staff retreat at the property not long after taking charge. White House officials stressed the latest gathering had “no agenda,” even as it comes in the midst of the ongoing budget stalemate over Trump’s long-promised border wall. Instead, Mulvaney, a former congressman from South Carolina, sees the sleepover as an opportunity to build bipartisan relationships at the quiet retreat. “Camp David is a perfect setting for the chief of staff to… Read full this story
- Breaking down Bolton's account of a White House in turmoil
- Trump has asked aides if John Bolton will go to jail for his tell-all White House book as federal prosecutors mull charges for releasing classified information against the former NSC
- Germany troop withdrawal highlights rising fortunes of two White House allies amid Esper's isolation
- Bolton Book Accuses Secretary Of State Mike Pompeo, Former Chief Of Staff Mick Mulvaney Of Orchestrating White House Leaks
- Trump returns to White House after claiming 'thugs' stopped thousands from attending his Tulsa comeback rally, praises 'warriors' in the arena who braved the virus and calls Joe Biden's career 'four decades of calamity'
- Secret Service agents wounded outside White House, car bombs feared; official says Trump was taken to bunker
- Bolton Says Jared Kushner Was the Most Important Person in the White House
- Bill Clinton admitted to Jeffrey Epstein that he had sex with Monica Lewinsky by default because 'she was the only girl in the White House' during 1995 government shutdown, new book reveals
- Russia paid the Taliban BOUNTIES for killing American troops in Afghanistan in plot orchestrated by secret unit which poisoned a defector spy - and White House has known for MONTHS
- The Hill's Morning Report - Presented by Facebook - Dems, GOP dig in on police reform ahead of House vote
Let's talk: White House throws bipartisan Camp David retreat have 419 words, post on apnews.com at February 8, 2019. This is cached page on IT Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.