NEW DELHI: The government will construct 44 strategic roads along the border with China and over 2,100 km of axial and lateral roads in Punjab and Rajasthan, abutting Pakistan, a CPWD document shows. According to an annual report (2018-19) prepared, and released earlier this month by the Central Public Works Department, the agency has been asked to construct 44 “strategically important” roads along the India-China border to ensure quick mobilisation of troops in case of a conflict. The nearly 4,000-km-long Line of Actual Control between India and China touches areas from Jammu and Kashmir to Arunachal Pradesh The report comes at a time China is giving a priority to projects along its India borders. Last year, Indian and Chinese troops engaged in a face-off at the Doklam tri-junction after the neighbouring country had begun building road in the area. The standoff ended on August 28 following a mutual agreement under which China stopped the construction of the road and India withdrew its troops. The report stated that these 44 strategically road along the India-China border will be constructed at a cost of nearly Rs 21,000 crore. “The CPWD has been entrusted with construction of 44 strategically important roads along the… Read full this story
- India, China discuss enhancing academic exchanges, tourism
- Can China Turn the Middle of Nowhere Into the Center of the World Economy?
- Visa Overstays Far Exceed Illegal Border Crossings in U.S.—And a Wall Won't Change That, Study Says
- China-U.S. rivalry casts shadow over APEC meeting in PNG
- Here’s How Trump’s Border Wall Could Affect Ecotourism in the Rio Grande Valley
- U.S. Leaving Afghanistan Could Threaten India and Pakistan, but Russia, China and Iran Are Getting Involved
- China visit to pay dividends soon: PM
- Russia Praises China Joint Military Drills Amid U.S. Tensions, Will Send New Warships to Pacific
- China builds new platform on reef in South China Sea, satellite photos show
- Senior delegation from Ajman Media City Free Zone, UAE hosts an investment forum in Chennai, India
Govt to construct 44 'strategically important' roads along India-China border have 322 words, post on timesofindia.indiatimes.com at January 13, 2019. This is cached page on IT Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.