Brendan Bradford Updated at 8 a.m. ET Updated at 8 a.m. ET Novak Djokovic turned in a masterful performance in beating Rafael Nadal 6-3 6-2 6-3 to claim the 2019 Australian Open on Rod Laver Arena. It’s no stretch to say that Djokovic played some of the best tennis of his 16-year professional career on the way to claiming his 15th major title. Nadal simply had no answer to the service game, the ground strokes or the defense of Djokovic as the 31-year-old won a historic seventh Australian Open title. MORE: Osaka finally has her magic moment It’s a record he now holds alone, having gone one better than Roger Federer and Roy Emerson. The result is made more shocking considering the form Nadal took into the decider. The 32-year-old had won 110 games and lost just 48 in six straight-sets wins leading into Sunday night. Along the way he earned one-sided beatdowns of hugely hyped prospects Alex de Minaur, Frances Tiafoe and Stefanos Tsitsipas, and took just over two hours to beat veteran Tomas Berdych in the fourth round. The win is Djokovic’s third major title in succession, having beaten Nadal at Wimbledon last year before taking four sets to beat Juan Martin del Potro at the US Open. … Read full this story
- Roger Federer's Coach Discusses Rafael Nadal Being Under Pressure, Novak Djokovic's Comeback
- Rafael Nadal, Novak Djokovic Retirements? Duo Not Expected To 'Play Long'
- Novak Djokovic Hopes To Emulate Roger Federer Success With Racket Change
- Rafael Nadal Reveals Conversations With Andy Murray Over Injury Recovery
- Rafael Nadal's Health More Important Than World No. 1 Ranking: Carlos Moya
- Novak Djokovic Gets New Coach Ahead Of Monte Carlo Masters
- Novak Djokovic Returning To Old Form Good For Tennis, Del Potro Says
- Novak Djokovic Splits From Stepanek After Ending Agassi Partnership
- Davis Cup: Rafael Nadal Dominates Alexander Zverev, Spain Beat Germany
- Federer, Nadal Dominate Tennis Because Younger Generation Not Good Enough: Toni Nadal
Australian Open 2019: Novak Djokovic beats Rafael Nadal to claim 15th major title have 313 words, post on www.sportingnews.com at January 27, 2019. This is cached page on IT Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.