“Jose hasn’t helped himself.” The last Manchester United manager’s epitaph was uttered before his final season began in the United States. During an exchange with a reporter in July, a senior staff member reflected the club‘s view of Mourinho’s narked behaviour in a turbulent pre-season tour which was the precursor to another bout of third season syndrome. A United player remarked the manager was ‘in such a bad mood’ at the UCLA campus and the tension was palpable when a staff member rebuked a photographer for innocuously treading onto the Drake Stadium pitch United were training on. A time-served observer noted: “It’s like a dysfunctional family.” We were reassured Mourinho was ‘in a very good mood’ and there were no issues with the executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward. In the City of Angels, it evoked memories of LA Confidential’s opening monologue: “You’d think this place was the Garden of Eden. But there’s trouble in paradise.” Mourinho’s mood worsened at United. His frustrations with Woodward dated back to the waiting game that played out as Louis van Gaal clung on for the remainder of the 2015-16 campaign. Mourinho was rattled by what he perceived to be a delayed appointment at a time… Read full this story
- Jose Mourinho keen on undertaking new managerial role
- Manchester United begin the search for a new technical director
- Fellaini: Manchester United sacked Mourinho too soon
- Sanchez always seemed a 'sad man' at Manchester United
- Mata: No regrets over Manchester United move
- Manchester United and the inescapable pall of gloom
- Real Madrid: Jose Mourinho desperate to replace Zinedine Zidane?
- Big Match Focus: Manchester United v Chelsea (Sunday 16:30 BST)
- Premier League: Can Manchester United afford to sell Paul Pogba?
- Mata believes Manchester United must set 'higher standards'
The inside story of Jose Mourinho's turbulent tenure at Manchester United have 292 words, post on www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk at December 18, 2018. This is cached page on IT Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.