New Delhi (CNN Business)Narendra Modi swept into power in 2014 with promises to take the Indian economy to new heights and to create jobs for millions of young people. But India’s prime minister faces a bruising election battle next year amid questions over his handling of an economy that has weakened in recent months. Here’s where things stand ahead of crucial elections in 2019: Growth slump India’s economy surged ahead in the first half of 2018 after spending much of the previous year recovering from a tax overhaul and a shock decision by Modi to ban most of the country’s cash. Read More Growth accelerated to 8.2% in the quarter ended June 2018, the fastest rate of any major economy. India still holds that distinction, but growth pulled back sharply to 7.1% in the most recent quarter. GDP data for the final quarter of 2018 is expected in February and could factor into Modi’s appeal to voters as he seeks a second term as prime minister. Read more on India The future of the internet is Indian My journey from India’s Silicon Valley to its ‘no network zone’ Unilever is spending billions to boost its India presence Ikea wants to… Read full this story
- Trump: 'Economy has Never Been Better, Jobs at Best Point in History'
- JGLS & WWF-India Launch One-Year LLM Programme in Environmental Law, Energy & Climate Change
- Diversity Visa Lottery (Fiscal Year 2019)
- Politics President Trump arrives in Hanoi for state visit Where to go as Ho Chi Minh City people do on New Year 2019
- India vs South Africa: Mayank Agarwal's 2nd Test Century Helps India Dominate South Africa On Day 1
- Rohit Sharma's Exploits As Test Opener Key To India's Success, Says Vikram Rathour
- India vs South Africa, 2nd T20I Preview: Youngsters In Focus As India Host South Africa In Mohali
- Sayonara Wild Hearts
- World Cup 2019: Unfazed By Speculation Around Number 4 Position, Says Vijay Shankar
- Ho Chi Minh City to host Vietbuild 2019
India's economy had a wild year. Will 2019 be better? have 319 words, post on edition.cnn.com at December 28, 2018. This is cached page on IT Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.