Visit The Boston Globe Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Comment on this Scroll to top of page By Emily McCormick Bloomberg August 11, 2018 Fortnite amassed an unrivaled following with kid-friendly, multiplayer action that can be enjoyed on most modern devices. The video game’s creator is using that popularity to challenge one of the most-entrenched business models in the mobile industry: the app store.Epic Games Inc. recently said it won’t distribute Fortnite through Google’s Play app store. Instead, Android users will need to visit Fortnite’s website and disable some security features on their phones to complete the download. The move threatens Google and highlights weaknesses of its Android operating system, especially compared with Apple’s offering, analysts said.Outside China and a few other Asian countries, most mobile game companies list their creations on the app stores that come pre-installed on Android phones and iPhones. In return for providing a massive potential audience and handling user identity and payment details, Alphabet Inc.’s Google and Apple take 30 percent of the revenue games generate. They pull in billions of dollars a year from the arrangement. Advertisement Fortnite is already so popular on personal computers and other devices that Epic Games decided it… Read full this story
- Huawei seeks app developers help in its to fight against 'Google ban'
- Pixel 4 specs vs price: Google's new phone is too weak, too late, and too expensive
- Pixel 4 Face Unlock vs. Apple Face ID: How they're different and how Google's might be better
- Should You Get an Apple HomePod?
- Huawei races to replace Google apps for next smartphone
- Google dished out $6.5M in bug bounties in 2019 with one payout worth $201K
- Camera comparison: iPhone 11 Pro vs. Galaxy Note 10 vs. Google Pixel 3 vs. Huawei P30 Pro
- Google Maps working on feature that shows well-lit streets?
- There's more to Google than Google: Dataset Search comes out of beta
- Google's Pixel 4, Pixel 4XL, and Made by Google hardware event squeezed by Apple, Amazon, and Microsoft launches
Fortnite ploy highlights Google’s Android weakness versus Apple have 325 words, post on www.bostonglobe.com at August 11, 2018. This is cached page on IT Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.