Chinese expert Ren Yuanzhe from the Diplomatic Academy of the People’s Republic of China told Sputnik why the choice of the venue for such a major meeting was no coincidence. “The choice of Singapore for the North Korea-US summit on the one hand is unexpected, on the other hand, there is nothing surprising about it. Singapore was among one of the possible places for negotiations, although many previously assumed that the probability of holding them in the demilitarized zone is higher. Comparing with the other four options, Singapore has the following advantages. Firstly, it is a developed country with good infrastructure, a high level of social security and public order; the country also has extensive experience in organizing various international events. Holding a summit for the US and North Korean leaders in Singapore is a good choice, at least from the point of view of logistic support, it is quite capable of providing excellent working conditions for the participants. For comparison, the infrastructure in the demilitarized zone is outdated. Secondly, Singapore maintains a neutral foreign policy, the country held many important negotiations and meetings. Usually, large-scale summits require embassy support and Singapore and North Korea have diplomatic relations, the DPRK embassy in Singapore is one of 47 embassies North Korea has around the world. At the same time, Singapore is one of the closest partners of the United States in the Pacific. Therefore, the special… Read full this story
- From 'beautiful letters' to 'a dark nightmare': How Trump's North Korea gamble went bust
- North Korea spikes optimism on inter-Korean dialogue
- Why the US risks 'serious security crisis' in war of words with North Korea
- U.S. Nuclear History Offers Clues to North Korea’s Progress
- North Korea’s No. 2 Diplomat in London Defects to the South
- New North Korea Weapons Test Threatens Trump’s Diplomatic Achievement
- Kim Jong Un ghosts U.S. as Joe Biden's North Korea shakeup looms
- A timeline of the Trump administration's engagement with North Korea
- North Korea Fires Short-Range Missiles, Its 2nd Test in Less Than a Week
- North Korea fires ballistic missiles into the sea in act seen as 'threat to peace'
Expert Explains Why North Korea-US Summit to Take Place in Singapore have 348 words, post on sputniknews.com at May 14, 2018. This is cached page on IT Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.