Since data could be exchanged, providers have been accused of hoarding it. Government pressure and business incentives may be changing that. CMS Administrator Seema Verma told a packed room of health care execs earlier this year that it would no longer be tolerated. “Let me be crystal clear, the days of finding creative ways to trap patients in your system must end. It’s not acceptable to limit patient records or to prevent them and their doctor from seeing their complete history outside of a particular healthcare system,” she said speaking at HIMSS in March. In addition, within months the Office of the National Coordinator, as mandated under the 21st Century Cures Act, will issue a proposed rule to set ground rules to prevent data blocking. Efforts tackling the issue couldn’t have come at a better time. At the same time, digital health startups are beginning to accrue value and build out robust data sets. From platform companies such as Vida Health to digital therapeutics like Omada Health, big data is becoming more important than ever. Roche, for example, was willing to shell out $1.9 billion to acquire oncology EHR company Flatiron Health, largely for its data set. As these tools and datasets proliferate, providing… Read full this story
- Plenty to do during final days of The Big E 2019
- From Baku, with Love: Day 4
- Internet proxies let Iranians and others connect to blocked Web sites
- Thrill-seeking day-trippers are doing COCAINE in the loos at Harry Potter studio tour aimed at child fans
- Time-wasting patients with minor ailments like blocked noses and dandruff cost NHS more than £2bn a year
- My Family’s Life Inside and Outside America’s Racial Categories
- Robocalls seem unstoppable. Are they?
- Jilted husband tried to kidnap his estranged wife after hiding in the back of her car when she told him she was leaving him
- What is ‘smishing’, who has been scammed and how can you protect yourself from SMS phishing cons? Here’s all you need to know
- Boston settles lawsuit with Airbnb
Days of information blocking look numbered have 332 words, post on www.healthcaredive.com at May 31, 2018. This is cached page on IT Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.