By Ryan Kartje | [email protected] | Orange County RegisterPUBLISHED: April 27, 2018 at 5:18 pm | UPDATED: April 28, 2018 at 3:25 pm Editor’s note: This is the first of a two-part series related to the proposed legislation to ban tackle football for kids under the age of 12 in California. Read Part 2 – Ladera Ranch family pushes for change in youth football after loss of son. In January, Lorena Gonzalez-Fletcher stood on the floor of the California State Assembly to present Assembly Joint Resolution 156. The resolution was largely ceremonial; her timing, just before the Super Bowl, was deliberate. It declared January 30th as “CTE Awareness Day” and recognized those who suffered from the degenerative brain disease Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy, which, since its discovery in the brains of NFL players, continues to fuel unease over football and its future. In the gallery sat two California mothers whose young sons suffered from CTE. Neither played football past high school. Both died before 26. “Kimberly Archie lost her son, Paul, to CTE, despite only playing football from age 7 to age 15,” Gonzalez-Fletcher, a Democrat, told the Assembly. “Jo Cornell also lost her son, Tyler, to CTE, and he only… Read full this story
- Corruption-scarred Indonesian football grapples with new match-fix scandal
- Uniquely US Problem: Trump, Republicans Set Firmly Against New Gun Laws – Prof
- Joe Brolly: 'Referees feeling wrath but inept rules committee
- Girl calls for law change after being groomed on Facebook
- Dogs, dives and disastrous defending: A taxonomy of the viral football video
- ‘I didn’t want to be Shane the footballer, I wanted to be known for something else’
- Emiliano Sala special report: His final days and the transfer that rocked football
- Pat Spillane: 'It's not the rules which are destroying Gaelic football, it's the managers'
- Neil Lennon's Hibernian reign: 'Aeroplane celebrations, tackling racism & a square go'
- The six OTHER strict new laws coming for dog walkers in Wirral
Law to ban tackle football for California youth falls short of committee have 303 words, post on www.ocregister.com at April 27, 2018. This is cached page on IT Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.