In January, Facebook said it will reduce the volume of news in its news feed, in favor of more posts from friends and family. In fact, Facebook’s role in distributing news has been falling dramatically for more than a year. Data from Parse.ly, which tracks visits to more than 2,500 publisher sites, shows that ahead of the 2016 US presidential election, more than 40 percent of traffic to those sites came from Facebook. By the end of 2017, Facebook accounted for less than 26 percent of traffic to those publishers. That trend will likely continue as Facebook rolls out the changes to news feed. At a February conference sponsored by Recode, news feed boss Adam Mosseri said that in the coming months, news will represent roughly 4 percent of content in the news feed, down from 5 percent before the recent change. On some days in February, Parse.ly data show that the share of publisher traffic coming from Facebook dipped as low as 20 percent, lower than at any time since 2013. Facebook says a big part of the decline in 2017 stemmed from the explosion of news video being posted in news feed after the election. News feed spokesman… Read full this story
- More than 1,000 companies boycotted Facebook. Did it work?
- Amazon, Facebook, Apple, Google CEOs lay out antitrust defenses in remarks to Congress
- Coronavirus news from the Bay Area: August 3-4
- Facebook Removes a Fresh Batch of Innovative, Iran-Linked Fake Accounts
- Facebook and Twitter remove video of Trump falsely claiming children are "almost immune" to the coronavirus
- Australian news generated AU$10m in revenue for Google in 2019
- The children's author CANCELLED by her publisher after backing J.K. Rowling: GILLIAN PHILIP tells how she was left to fear for her young readers in a world where daring to speak your mind can spell disaster
- Troops on the streets? Government's scientific advisers warned tension over local lockdowns could need military to stop disorder around the UK
- Coronavirus 90-minute tests to be provided in care homes and hospitals
- '100 per cent accurate' antibody tests to tell millions of Britons if they have ALREADY had coronavirus 'will be available in TWO WEEKS' - as Boris Johnson plans primetime broadcast to unveil the nation's route back to school and work
Why Facebook Has Been Less Important to News Publishers have 365 words, post on www.wired.com at March 12, 2018. This is cached page on IT Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.