In 1997, it took AMG engineers just 126 days to design and build the awesome and barely street-legal CLK GTR. Two decades later, the gestation process of the Mercedes-AMG Project ONE hypercar, which has just been revealed ahead of its debut at the 2017 Frankfurt auto show, has taken years. The long-awaited result? More than 1,000 horsepower of Formula One inspired, hybrid-electrified design at roughly $2.53 million a copy (or 2.275 million euro if your bank account is in that denomination). It began with the divorce from McLaren and with the need to eventually come up with an in-house replacement for the Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren. True, the AMG GT lineup has accomplished a volume-generating and brand-shaping mission, but even the range-topping AMG GT R isn’t a true hardcore supercar, let alone a mind-blowing hypercar like the Project ONE. What AMG aimed for was a one-of-a-kind machine even more outrageous than the McLaren P1 and LaFerrari, the ultimate fusion of combustion and electrification. Originally known as X1 and initially dubbed AMG R50 to celebrate AMG’s then-upcoming 50th anniversary, the project was kicked off in late 2014 by an undercover team led by AMG’s chief engineer at the time Tobias Moers, who… Read full this story
- 2021 Mercedes-AMG GLA45 is not messing around
- 2021 Mercedes-AMG GLE63 S Coupe cops an electrified twin-turbo V8
- 2021 Mercedes-Benz E-Class All-Terrain wagon is coming to the US
- Mercedes SL Roadster Teased In Official 'Spy Photos'
- Tech insight: Mercedes reveals German GP aero update package
- Maybach S-Class To Debut In November, AMG S63e And S73e To Follow
- 2022 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Spied Torturing Tires At The Nurburgring
- Mercedes-Benz EQC 400 Listed On India Website Ahead Of Expected Launch: Here Are The Details
- 2021 Mercedes S-Class Coupe Rendering Shows What Won’t Happen
- Watch Pro Golfer Hit Ball Through LaFerrari Aperta And AMG GT 4-Door
Mercedes-AMG Project ONE Revealed: AMG’s $2.5 Million Halo Hypercar have 293 words, post on www.automobilemag.com at September 11, 2017. This is cached page on IT Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.