Donald Trump’s comments about and dealings with Congress over the past month raise a series of interrelated questions: Does he understand how much he is increasing the prospects for serious Democratic gains in the midterm elections? If he does (at some level), are his actions the result of a calculation that the benefit they provide for his immediate agenda outweighs whatever harm they do to Republican chances in an election more than a year away? Or, is his angry frustration at the inability — unwillingness in guru Steve Bannon’s view — of the Republican Congress to deliver on any of his major campaign themes becoming a view that he personally would lose little governmentally with Democratic control of one branch? Maybe he thinks a win for the Democrats in 2018 would allow him in 2020 to run as the victim of an entrenched bipartisan establishment rather than an ineffective Republican leader who could not get his own party to follow him. My current guess — subject to modification by his future behavior — is a combination of no to question one and an evolving yes to question three. In particular, I am skeptical that he is fully conscious of how… Read full this story
- A worried world awaits Trump presidency: 10 views
- 20 Things That Kept Us Up at Night in 2018
- Bob Corker leaves office with legacy of bipartisanship, rocky relationship with Trump
- When tipping point comes, Trump's support will quickly collapse
- The 23 Best Albums of 2018
- First Solar, Inc. (FSLR) Q4 2018 Earnings Conference Call Transcript
- Double standard? Media bash Trump for signing MAGA hats, ignored then-candidate Obama signing autographs for troops
- Obama Returns, Gives A Speech Reminding Americans Of Why Trump Is President
- Today it locks up immigrants. But CoreCivic's roots lie in the brutal past of America's prisons.
- New Hampshire wonders: Is Beto tough enough to take on Trump?
I am starting to wonder which side Trump is rooting for in 2018 have 299 words, post on www.cnbc.com at September 15, 2017. This is cached page on IT Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.