LONDON (AP) — Prince Philip, Queen Elizabeth II’s most stalwart companion for nearly 70 years, has announced his retirement. Here’s a brief look at the monarch’s most loyal subject as he announces he will step back from royal duties. EARLY LIFE: Prince Philip of Greece and Denmark was born on Corfu on June 10, 1921, to Princess Alice of Battenburg and Prince Andrew of Greece. Amid the upheaval of the military coup that overthrew his uncle, King Constantine, in 1922, the family fled. Britain’s King George V, the queen’s grandfather, sent a Royal Navy cruiser to evacuate the family and Philip was carried to safety in a cot made from an orange box. As he grew, he rarely saw his parents and went to school in Germany and Britain. ___ ROYAL NAVY Philip joined the Royal Navy as a cadet in 1939, and had a promising career. He served during World War II and was mentioned in dispatches for service aboard the battleship HMS Valiant at Cape Matapan. He rose to the level of commander. ___ COUSIN ELIZABETH: Philip first caught the attention of his 13-year-old cousin Elizabeth when she visited the Britannia Royal Naval College in Dartmouth with her… Read full this story
- See the Personal Christmas Cards Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip Sent to Castle Staff Over the Years
- : Did Prince Philip Really Have an Obsession with the Moon Landing?
- A Look Back at Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip's 70th Anniversary-Themed Photo Shoot
- Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip Spend 72nd Wedding Anniversary 110 Miles Apart
- Prince Philip, 98, Hospitalized Just Ahead of Christmas Due to 'Pre-Existing Condition'
- Prince Philip in hospital as stars rock Buckingham Palace
- Prince Philip, 98, Released from London Hospital Ahead of Christmas with the Queen
- Prince Philip, 98, goes to Sandringham estate shooting party just weeks after hospital stay as son Prince Charles drives to join him
- The Crown featurette puts focus on Prince Philip
- Prince Charles Says Father Prince Philip Is 'Being Looked After Very Well' Amid Hospitalization
A look at Prince Philip, the queen’s most loyal subject have 321 words, post on apnews.com at May 4, 2017. This is cached page on IT Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.