Three weeks after the 2016 presidential election, it is still difficult to imagine that Donald Trump will be inaugurated as the next president of the United States. Yet while many Americans cycle through the five stages of grief—denial, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance—some are looking for a replacement for the last. Rather than accept his presidency, they are busy finding ways to resist it.1 At the national level, the picture could scarcely be more bleak. Shut out of the legislative and executive branches, likely to be sidelined in the judiciary, progressives have very little leverage to stop or even slow down the Republican juggernaut. Any effort to protect vulnerable Americans from the most harmful effects of the new administration’s policies will have to come from cities and states. All resistance is local. The beginning of a new reconstruction will have to be local, too.2 In this forum—an installment of our ongoing series, “That’s Debatable”—four writers take on the question of what can be done at the state and local levels to resist the Trump administration, and even to create a profoundly new political order. In a time of apparent impotence for the left their responses offer a plan of action; in… Read full this story
- 4 State Elections That Could Prove How Much Everybody Hates Black Voters
- Bernie Sanders vs. The Machine: How Democrat Candidate Turned 'Sleepy' Burlington to the American Dream
- All-American Despair
- Erdogan's threat to Europe: President says he will send 3.6 MILLION refugees to the continent if Turkey's invasion of Syria is defined as an occupation, as he boasts '109 terrorists' have died
- Dishonored Diary: Playing through in four different ways
- 'Inspiration in dark times': books to make sense of Brexit
- Guardian environment writers: 'With your help, we are tackling humankind's greatest challenge'
- Inside America’s Secret War with ISIS
‘All Resistance Is Local’: A Plan of Progressive Action for the Trump Years have 310 words, post on www.thenation.com at November 29, 2016. This is cached page on IT Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.