BRUSSELS, Belgium — The assignment given to the Belgian police in the summer of 2014 was straightforward but high stakes: Follow two men suspected of involvement with ISIS through the streets of Brussels. Find out who they meet, record what they say. A court had approved wiretaps for the men’s phones and for the use of tracking devices, and a specialized team of covert operators from the secret service had broken into the men’s homes and vehicles and planted bugs and GPS devices without leaving a trace.Rather unusually, there had been little problem getting senior police officials and the courts that oversee Belgium’s personal privacy laws to approve the mission. Partly, it was the two men’s history: They had long criminal records — drug dealing, petty theft, and the occasional violent robbery — and now, unbeknownst to them, had been placed on a terrorism watch list.With hundreds of people suspected of having ties to ISIS and al-Qaeda, it would be impossible for the Belgian authorities to monitor all of them. But these two were believed to be linked to Mehdi Nemmouche, a 29-year-old French-Algerian man charged with killing four people at the Jewish Museum of Brussels on May 24, 2014.Belgian… Read full this story
- Inside world’s most expensive divorce
- Flynn, Bannon, Manafort, Ivanka: Private Emails From Inside The Mueller Investigation
- ISIS Releases Bloody New Video Singing 'Kill Them All' in U.S. and Other Countries
- 2 Women With ISIS Link Arrested in Planned NYC Bomb Attack: Officials
- Police Arrive in Turkey to Search for London Teens Who Ran Away to Join ISIS
- City Offers Homeless One-Way Travel Ticket to Europe if They Sign Contract to Never Return
- No Regrets Brit ISIS Bride Wants to Come Home to Have Baby
- Hundreds Of ISIS Fighters Smuggled Into Europe as "Refugees"
- UK Revokes Citizenship of 'No Regrets' ISIS Jihadi Bride Shamima Begum
- ISIS Could Recruit More Women to Jihadi Front-Line, Says EU Security Report
Inside The World Of ISIS Investigations In Europe have 315 words, post on www.buzzfeed.com at August 22, 2016. This is cached page on IT Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.