More than three-quarters of the UK motoring industry believes the UK leaving the EU (known as ‘Brexit’) would be harmful to business, a new survey has found. It revealed that 88% of large motor industry businesses were against leaving the EU, while 73% of smaller and medium sized enterprises wanted to stay. 77% of the industry as a whole agreed Europe was best for business. The UK’s motor industry, represented by the Society of Motor Manufacturers & Traders (SMMT) members, announced the findings after the results from an independent survey compiled by ComRes were released. This contrasts with 9% of respondents who thought an exit from the EU would benefit business. 14% answered saying they were unsure of its effects, reflecting the level of uncertainty around the issue. Leading voices in support of remaining in the EU include senior members of Toyota, BMW and Vauxhall. Mike Hawes, SMMT chief executive, said: “The message from UK Automotive is clear – being in Europe is vital for the future of this industry and to secure jobs, investment and growth.” He said 77% of cars built in the UK were exported last year, with 57% of those going to European customers. 1.3 million… Read full this story
- No-deal Brexit would cost UK car industry £55bn, says analysis
- UK car industry says failure to clinch Brexit deal could cost 55.4 bln stg by 2025
- Boris Johnson tells Britain to get ready for No Deal Brexit and UK with leave with ‘high hearts & complete confidence’
- Brexit Deal Reportedly Close to Being Finalised as EU-UK Talks Suspended
- UK aerospace industry steps up no-deal Brexit plan to switch regulator
- UK car industry to risk 55.4 bln pounds loss under "no-deal" scenario: trade association
- Brexit deal by the end of the week? EU leaders are 'hopeful' as Michel Barnier comes out of Covid isolation for crunch meeting in London – with Boris Johnson poised to seal a breakthrough in call with Ursula von der Leyen
- UK green industrial revolution plan: what does it mean for cars and homes?
- UK Haulage Industry Reportedly Urges Gov't to Share Post-Brexit Border Operating System
- Brexit news latest – Looming DISASTER as EU states could veto a Brexit deal even if Boris and Barnier reach an agreement
Brexit: 77% of UK motor industry wants Britain to remain in EU have 355 words, post on www.autocar.co.uk at March 8, 2016. This is cached page on IT Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.