The stakes could not have been higher. Nothing less than the people’s health and President Obama’s legacy were at stake. At the end of a hard fought legal battle, the U.S. Supreme Court has upheld a key portion of President Barack Obama’s healthcare law preserving health insurance for millions of Americans.In a 6-3 decision, the Court said that tax subsidies that make health insurance affordable for low-income individuals can continue.The ruling preserves the legislation, the Affordable Care Act (ACA) popularly known as Obamacare, which Mr. Obama considers a major part of his presidential legacy.The case, King v Burwell, was the second major challenge the law has faced in the US’s highest court. Unlike in many other western countries, the US does not have a single-payer healthcare system. Private companies, rather than the US government, provide health insurance for US citizens.The decision sparked celebrations outside the court in Washington. Reading updates on their mobile phones, the crowd became jubilant when they learned mid-morning that the court had ruled in their favour. Some began dancing, while others chanted “If you’re covered and you know it clap your hands.”The enactment of the Affordable Care Act (ACA) – one of Mr Obama’s most significant… Read full this story
- Iowa’s individual health insurance market may be stabilizing, experts say
- California OKs $214.8B budget, including health insurance for illegal immigrants, money for homelessness
- College won’t be fun if you’re not healthy. Take this advice about health insurance
- Warren’s Education Plan Promises Billions for Low-Income Schools and Desegregation
- The cost of tampons is hurting low-income girls. Let's fix that
- Make no mistake: Medicare for All would cut taxes for most Americans
- Obamacare Premiums to Fall and Number of Insurers to Rise Next Year
- Charlie Baker introduces legislation aimed at overhauling Massachusetts's health care system
- Losing income linked to heart attacks and stroke, study finds
- Obama's final report card: Did he live up to his promise?
U.S. SC saves Obama’s healthcare law making health insurance affordable for low-income individuals [Read Jt] have 325 words, post on www.livelaw.in at June 26, 2015. This is cached page on IT Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.