CNN has long been known to do well with breaking news events, particularly ones like the recent disappearance of Malaysian airliner Flight 370. The continuing mystery surrounding the missing plane has led to a ratings boost for the 24-hour news channel and its competitors. A new survey has shown why — the topic and speed of news stories are the biggest drivers in how people consume media, outshining demographics or ideology. See also: Timeline: The Mystery of Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 The study highlights what has been seen as a long-standing problem for companies like CNN — strong performance during news cycles that favor its format, but weakness on topics that are more evergreen. Television remains the leading medium for news, with channels like CNN serving as the primary source for international news, politics, business and economic news, and social issues. The Media Insight Project, a joint initiative between the American Press Institute and the Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research, executed the study, which was based on a survey of 1,492 adults. While 24-hour news fared particularly well when people sought international news, political coverage or stories about social issues, it was last in more consistent topics such… Read full this story
- Stoke transfer news: Rowett frustrated by wait – but targets will be worth it
- Armenia diaspora minister: After snap parliamentary election we will be able to dictate our will
- Forget the sugar tax – charge fat people for TWO plane seats and ban obese models, says weight loss guru
- Night to forget for Labour in Derby
- Forget Brexit, what else did MPs do?
- News.Az — Your Window to the RegionAli Hasanov: Vulnerable situation in Ganja requires even greater unity of society around state
- The incredible story of NUFC 4-4 Arsenal
- Can Birkenhead tempt students away from the bright lights of Liverpool?
- Mo Chaudry: 'Control Stoke-on-Trent's destiny with indoor arena'
- Two incidents on the Tamar Bridge
Forget Demographics, News Consumption Is Dictated by Topic have 305 words, post on mashable.com at March 17, 2014. This is cached page on IT Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.