Meet Dimbi, the cutest baby lemur you will see today. The rare blue-eyed black lemur cub was born on March 8 at the Mulhouse Zoo and Botanical Park in France. Benedict Quintard, the zoo’s veterinarian, told the AFP that little guy was “rejected by his mother.” The zoo stepped in and started bottle-feeding Dimbi before gradually introducing fruits and vegetables into his diet. The International Union for Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources classified the blue-eyed black lemur (Eulemur flavifrons) as “critically endangered.” It is considered one of the 25 most endangered primates, as conservationists believe there are somewhere between 450-2500 remaining in the wild. The lemurs are indigenous to Madagascar, where slash-and-burn agriculture as well as forest fires are destroying their habitat. The Tsimihety people hunt the blue-eyed black lemur for food, and they are sometimes kept as pets. These black lemurs are one of two non-human primates that have truly blue eyes, according to the Duke Lemur Center. They can interbreed with common black lemurs, but their offspring will always have brown eyes. Their diet consists of ripe fruit, flowers, leaves and, on occasion, insects. The Mulhouse zoo, which is a founding member of the Conservation des Espèces… Read full this story
- Amber Alert as girl, 1, snatched by her dad as cops warn she’s in ‘extreme danger’
- NTAs 2019: Michelle Keegan looks a little worse for wear as she leads the bleary-eyed exits from the awards show after-party alongside Holly Willoughby
- Terrifying looking baby aye aye born at Denver Zoo as staff hope to save ultra rare lemur that’s often dubbed a ‘demon’ in Africa
- Cute two-week-old panda cubs ‘are starting to look like mama’ as their black markings begin to show
- Is Austria turning blue?
- The abortion debate is on again. These two lawmakers are in the middle of the fight.
- Ghost in the Shell’s whitewashing: does Hollywood have an Asian problem?
- In the end, there was
- “Cocktail Waitress in a Dolly Parton Wig” Need Not Apply
- LaWana Mayfield resigns from a state commission, days after being denied another
Extremely rare blue-eyed black lemur born at French zoo have 340 words, post on www.nydailynews.com at April 19, 2013. This is cached page on IT Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.