The creators of Wikipedia are launching a new travel site, Wikivoyage, aimed at providing worldwide travelers with free, up-to-date information about attractions, lodging, restaurants, nightlife and other essential on-the-go information.The Wikimedia Foundation’s online travel initiative, which is officially launching Tuesday, reportedly has been in the works since late September. It already has a page of Goals and Non-Goals for the site that highlight how travelers around the world can turn to Wikivoyage for current, crowdsourced information about planning a trip.Wikivoyage is designed to be an online guide for all kinds of travelers, including those “huddled in a late-night Internet cafe in some dark jungle” who need the latest information about a place to stay or eat, or people in a new city that want to print out an article as a guide through a local museum.The Wikimedia Foundation, which will host and support Wikivoyage, also said the information could be used in other travel guidebooks that are looking for the latest travel hotspots. What Wikivoyage won’t be is a place for pushy travel ads, according to the non-goal section of the site. While encouraging restaurants, hotels, travel services and other local businesses to keep their Wikivoyage information up-to-date, the company… Read full this story
- Travellers set up camp next to Emmerdale studios and leave burning caravan behind them when they move on
- Netflix Sets Five New Anime Titles, Unveils First Looks At ‘Resident Evil: Infinite Darkness’, ‘Yasuke’, More
- When Barrels Set Sail—The History of Aging Spirits at Sea
- Donald Trump, In Mount Rushmore Speech, Tries To Set Off New Fireworks In Divisive Culture Wars
- Traveling to Germany: Coronavirus restrictions — questions and answers
- European travel restrictions: Where can non-EU travelers enter?
- TUI's cruise line shares what its future sailings will look like amidst the pandemic
- Big Lizzie goes sick: Royal Navy's flagship aircraft carrier HMS Queen Elizabeth postpones sailing from Portsmouth base after crew members test positive for Covid-19
- 'The Sailing Family' one of hundreds in 'Covid limbo' in South Pacific
- How safe is air travel during COVID-19?
Travelers to Set Sail on New Wikivoyage have 336 words, post on www.technewsworld.com at January 14, 2013. This is cached page on IT Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.