Roger Federer improved his six-year winning streak to 15 matches against Lleyton Hewitt with an overpowering 6-2, 6-3, 6-4 victory in the fourth round at the Australian Open on Monday.The top-ranked Federer, beaten in last year’s final at Melbourne Park by Rafael Nadal, hasn’t lost to Hewitt since the Australian beat him in a Davis Cup match in the same Rod Laver Arena in late 2003.The Swiss star has reached the semifinals or better here every year since winning the 2004 title, his first of three in Australia. He improved to 17-8 against Hewitt, and their 25 head-to-head matches is the most among active players.Federer broke Hewitt’s serve in the ninth game of the third set with a stinging cross-court forehand that left Hewitt standing in the middle of the court. Federer held service in his next game, setting up match point with an ace and clinching it with a service winner.As usual, Federer rose to the occasion.“Hardly made any unforced errors,” Federer said. For the record, he made 30 to go with his 49 winners.“If there were some, they were at moments I can live with. I was really able to press on the offensive, serve well when I… Read full this story
- Tennis Superstar Serena Williams Confirms Pregnancy
- Coronavirus: New indoor gathering limits as Federal Budget delayed and NAPLAN tests scrapped
- Coronavirus: Destiny on hold – Liverpool, Serena, Tiger and other greats made to wait
- Serena Williams reveals she got angry with her daughter as coronavirus has left her ‘crazy and stressed’ with anxiety
- Will Maria Sharapova Be Eligible To Play The French Open?
- Stock market plunges more than 7 per cent at the open of trade
- Coronavirus: Olympics swansong denied or delayed? Biles, Felix, Federer and other stars left in limbo
- BEST PHOTOS from the Australian Open
- Pokies, politics and profits: How Federal Hotels monopolised Tasmania's one-armed bandits
- 'We will make a decision after 15 days': Trump says country could be RE-OPENED because 'we cannot let the cure be worse than problem itself' as NYC goes into lock-down and national guard prepares to deploy to three disaster zone states
Serena, Venus, Federer advance at Aussie Open have 344 words, post on www.foxsports.com at January 23, 2010. This is cached page on IT Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.