The workplace can be a veritable minefield — with tyrants and advantage-taking bosses out to undermine your success. If you find yourself in that situation, you’ll need to deflect the potential damage and protect yourself behind a “bully barrier.”The first weapon you’ll need is the ability to ignore desperate behaviors. Granted, this may sound like a cop-out, but “if you ignore by choice, it’s not cowardice; it’s being assertive,” says Hilda Meltzer, a New York career coach and assertiveness training specialist.Besides, when tyrants rant and rave and you respond by cowering or losing your cool, this plays right into their hands, assuring them that they are powerful and in control.”When these bosses know they can get to you, they will,” says Robert Bramson, author of “Coping with Difficult Bosses.””But the flip side is also true. When they know they can’t get to you, they won’t bother.”Calm in the stormTry defusing the anger by asking questions. Keep in mind that if a tyrant has lost control, it usually means he’s feeling insecure. You can help him chill, focus and get back to the business at hand by asking questions: “What’s the problem here?” “What needs to be done right now?” “How… Read full this story
- Trump Threatens to Cut Funding if Schools Do Not Fully Reopen
- 'The words stand for freedom, not colonialism' - Readers on the Proms and this week's talking points
- Boris Johnson offers EU solution to Brexit trading checks that 'respects UK sovereignty'
- EU demands UK cave in Brexit row as Boris Johnson warned: 'Get over ideology!'
- Amid attacks, school principals concerned over Asian Americans' return to class
- World Athletics makes pledge to women, but Sally Pearson says they still have work to do
- Karla Burns, black performer who blazed a trail winning an Olivier award for her Queenie in Show Boat – obituary
- We face the biggest peacetime decision in a generation – the public must have the final say on Brexit
- Queer people are too often sanitised – I love Lil Nas X for being unashamedly horny
- Apple Podcasts Subscriptions Is Here, If You Want It
Bully Barrier have 351 words, post on ezinearticles.com at June 5, 2008. This is cached page on IT Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.